Friday, March 2, 2012

Canning Potatoes

sfgdfgsdf 012

How to can potatoes

I used 10 lbs. of Potatoes for 7 quarts .

First I get a big pot of water on the stove and turn it on hi to get in boiling.

Wash all your potatoes or have your 3 year old do it :} (you don’t have to peel them.)

Then cut up your potatoes the way you like them.

Then put your potatoes in your boiling water for 10 min.

Meanwhile I clean my sink really good and fill it with really hot water then I wash my jars and place them  in the hot water to soak.

I also get a small pan with boiling water and put my 2 piece caps in them .

After the ten minutes I pack hot potatoes into my hot jars. leaving about 1” headspace.

Add the boiling water into the jars.

Get all the bubbles out then add teaspoon of salt to each jar.

I usually wipe the top of my jars with a clean rag then put the two piece caps on.

Then I put the jars in my pressure cooker, then I add water to my pressure cooker about 1/3 the way up from the jars.

This last time I processed for 40 min. at 10 pounds pressure I think next time I am going to process for 30 min. and see how they turn out. Just because we ate some of the potatoes that night and they were good just a little softer then I would have liked.

Some uses for canned potatoes….breakfast potatoes, potatoes salad, potatoes and meat, mashed potatoes.

 

sfgdfgsdf 015

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad you posted this! I was trying to tell Cadie how to do it the other day and then I was just like, "Maybe you should call Kassi." Lol! My memory was a little fuzzy. I need to be better about using my pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kassi! How are you?:) looks like you guys are doing wonderful! Your family is so beautiful! WE need to get together sometime and do lunch and catch up! We have a new blog its kylekatieandkiddos.blogspot.com Thanks for the post on canning I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canning scares me! You are brave..I need to take your tips and be brave and just do it! :)

    ReplyDelete